History of IRBC
History of the original building:
The Indianola Regular Baptist Church had its earliest beginnings with a series of home Bible studies led by Pastor Carl Elgena and Pastor Lloyd Miller. The group then began to meet in a one room school house located in Ackworth, Iowa. The church was first known as the Ackworth Regular Baptist Church. The first pastor was Lee Hutchison, who served until 1955)
Pastor Kenneth Wilhite (1955 to1966) led the church to it’s official organization on February 25, 1955 and the church was officially incorporated on October 9, 1957. The church was associated with the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches. The church soon outgrew it’s location in Ackworth and moved to Indianola, Iowa on April 18, 1961 and changed the name to Indianola Regular Baptist Church. They worshiped in the American Legion Hall for about three to four years.
History of the present building:
Forty acres of land was purchased at 1301 East Second and the building of the present church building began. Upon the completion of the basement they then gathered there for worship for three and one half years. The main floor auditorium was added in 1966. A dedication service was held on June 19, 1966 dedicating the church building to the service of God, for honor and glory to Him.
In 1969, under Pastor Lee Scholes (January 8, 1967 to March 19, 1972), a south wing was added to the original basement level which contained additional class rooms and the kitchen. During the ministry of Pastor Dayton, (January 24, 1979 to August 25, 1985) the original basement and the auditorium were extended to the east, enlarging the seating capacity in the auditorium on the main level to comfortably seat 250 and adding two additional Sunday School rooms in the basement. At the same time, a second floor was added to the south wing, making it level with the auditorium and providing two new classrooms, two additional bathrooms and the nursery.
In 2004, under the leadership of Pastor Craig Johnson, (August 1997 to January 31, 2016), the front of the building was extended to the West enlarging the foyer, producing more space for coats and fellowship. An elevator lift was installed at this time as well. The outside was newly landscaped, new outside steps were put into place and the West parking lot and driveway was paved.
Pastors serving in the ministry of the church are as follows:
Carl Elgena Beginning home Bible studies
Lee Hutchison Missionary Pastor
Kenneth Wilhite 1955 to 1965
Wayne Murrow June 1965 to December 3, 1966
Lee Scholes January 8, 1967 to March 19, 1972
David Hess July 9, 1972 to February 29, 1976
Ed Corbett May 1, 1976 to July 12, 1978
Davis Brown Served as interim pastor
Richard Dayton January 24, 1979 to August 25, 1985
Greg Boyle June 29, 1986 to August 26, 1995
Richard Fleming Served as interim pastor
Craig Johnson August, 1997 to January 31, 2016
Mike Craighead served as interim pastor
J. Ross Swope – 2018 to 2019
During the period of time from November 1968 through approximately December 16, 1986, the church served the Lord via live radio broadcast of our morning worship service beginning with the special music number and ending with the last hymn. Many local people who did not attend church anywhere and `shut ins’ enjoyed the radio program.
The church began an Awana Club program in 1967 which is still serving the Lord at this present time. Our Charter number is 479 and the charters now number upwards to the thousands. Our clubbers have attended many Sparkorama and Awana Olympic competitions, bringing back many trophies over the years. God has blessed the work of the Awana Clubs with many faithful workers and clubbers down through the years and has used the club to lead some to Christ for salvation and many others to growth in Him. All praise to Him.
In God’s providence many young men and women whose lives have been touched by the ministry of the Indianola Regular Baptist Church, have gone on to serve God with their lives in full time ministry. Some are serving in missions, some are servings as pastors and pastor’s wives, youth ministries or music ministries and others are serving in various other full time ministries as the Lord has led in their lives. By His grace, countless other individuals have been blessed and taught by the ministry of this church down through the years and are now serving Him in every facet of everyday life, to redound to His honor and glory. May Jesus Christ be praised!
“The Lord is good and his love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations.” Psalm 100:5